TOURISTIC SITES & PLACES TO VISIT IN DORDOGNE - PERIGORD NOIR
Close to our cottage and bed and breakfast in Archignac
Organize your stay!
What sites & places to visit in Black Périgord near Archignac and Sarlat?
The Périgord exceptional tourist places
The Périgord is undoubtedly one of the richest French departments: Castles, Abbeys, Bastides, Priorities, Troglodyte sites, Caves and Chasms, Gardens and Museums, so many reasons to stay in the region.
The Palaeolithic: A Human Presence with Traces Dating Back 400,000 Years!
This ice age is characterized by the presence in Périgord of reindeer and mammoths whose traces can be found on the paintings and engravings of some famous caves of the department (Rouffignac, Lascaux, etc.). At that time, prehistoric men lived at the foot of limestone cliffs. This is why the main prehistoric sites of the Paleolithic period are located in the valleys of the Vézère and the Dordogne.
The Middle Ages:
In the Dordogne there are more than 1000 castles, and manors that are distributed most of the time along the valleys of the Dordogne, the Vézère and the Isle.
For your holidays in Aquitaine choose the Dordogne, choose the Périgord!
🏡 Mons & Merveilles - holiday rentals - Dordogne, Périgord noir
Charming Cottage and Bed and breakfast with swimming-pool in Dordogne Périgord, in Archignac Aquitaine
What are the places to see in the Dordogne?
The places to see in the Dordogne are mainly the places located in the Périgord and more precisely in the Black Périgord (Périgord noir). The black Périgord (Périgord noir) is undoubtedly one of the French departments with the greatest number of exceptional riches: Castles, Abbeys, Bastides, Priories, Deposits and troglodyte sites, Caves and Chasms, Gardens and Museums.
What are the tourist places to see in the Périgord?
The medieval castles on the banks of the Dordogne and the Vézère, the world famous Palaeolithic sites such as the caves of Lascaux and Rouffignac, the troglodyte dwellings, the countless religious buildings, the splendid gardens and the most beautiful villages in France.
Which cottage or bed and breakfast to choose near the places and sites to see?
A cottage or bed and breakfast located in the town of Archignac, in Mons and Merveilles, because these accommodations are at the center of some of the most exceptional places and sites to visit.
What are the main sites to visit in the Périgord Noir near the cottage and guest rooms of Mons & Merveilles?
- Lascaux Caves: These famous prehistoric caves located in Montignac were discovered in 1940 and contain cave paintings dating back more than 17,000 years.
- Beynac Castle: Perched on a hill, this medieval castle offers a panoramic view of the Dordogne Valley and has been used as a filming location for many movies.
- La Roque-Gageac: This charming village located on the banks of the Dordogne River is famous for its stone houses, hanging gardens, and breathtaking view of the river.
- Sarlat-la-Canéda: This well-preserved medieval town is famous for its cobbled streets, golden stone houses, and many gourmet restaurants.
- Marqueyssac Gardens: These French-style gardens, located near La Roque-Gageac, offer spectacular views of the Dordogne Valley and feature winding paths, terraces, and boxwood sculptures.
- Padirac Cave: This impressive cave located in the Regional Natural Park of Causses du Quercy is accessible by a large staircase and features underground rivers and rock formations.
- Les Eyzies-de-Tayac: This village is known as the capital of prehistory, with many caves and rock shelters that were inhabited by prehistoric people for thousands of years.
- Castelnaud Castle: This medieval castle, located on a hill overlooking the Dordogne Valley, now houses a museum of medieval warfare.